In This Chapter
- Poms of royalty and celebrities
- Poms in art, literature, cinema, and morewww.healthgene.com for more information.
Many Poms have made a name for themselves not because of who owned them but also because of their own achievements.
– Dick: Dick was the first AKC registered Pom, back in 1888.
– Ch. Great Elms Prince Charming II: Weighing in at 41⁄2 pounds, Prince won Best in Show at America’s most prestigious dog show, Westminster, in 1988.
– Teddy Bear: When an intruder broke into the home of this 15-pound Pom’s mistress, Teddy Bear clamped onto the bad guy’s hand and wouldn’t let go, allowing his owner to run for help.
– Ch. Pufpride Sweet Dreams: It’s every show dog owner’s dream to win a Best in Show. This Pom called Parker won an amazing 42 of them — a record for the breed!
A Pom by Any Other Name . . .
In the United States, the American Kennel Club is the major canine organization, but worldwide, the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI) rules. The AKC places the Pomeranian in the Toy group, but the FCI places Poms in the Spitz and Primitive Types group.
This group is subdivided into several sections, with the Pomeranian in the European Spitz section. This section includes the Volpino Italiano, Deutscher Spitz (German Spitz), Wolfspitz (Keeshond), Grossspitz (Giant Spitz), Mittelspitz (Medium Spitz), Kleinspitz (Miniature Spitz), and Zwergspitz (Pomeranian). The Pomeranian is still known as the Zwergspitz (dwarf Spitz) in its native Germany.
by D.Caroline Coile,Ph.D.